Monday, March 21, 2011

Muddy Buddies

Anyone else up for a trip down memory lane?

Muddy Buddies are awesome. I loved them when I was eight, and I love them now. A friend's mom cued me into these delicious morsels. Neither of my parents cooked, and seeing ordinary breakfast cereal turned into a chocolaty treat was magical for me. This snack holds a special place in my heart. It's perfect for young cooks because all it requires is a microwave.

Start with 9 cups of rice chex, or similar, cereal. Put it in a really big bowl, bigger than you think you'll need.
It was a tough choice between having breakfast tomorrow morning and making Muddy Buddies, but my sweet tooth craving won out. I think I made the right call. Put 1 cup semi-sweet chips, 1/2 cup peanut butter, and half a stick of butter into a Hello Kitty microwavable bowl. I guess you could use a container without Hello Kitty on it, but I can't guarantee the results.
Microwave, covered, for a minute on high. Stir. If the mixture is smooth, you're done. Otherwise, give it some more time, in 15-30 second increments. And when in doubt, stop. Over-nuked chocolate is never pretty. Now add in a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Not me, because I forgot. But you totally should. Then pour the mixture over the cereal and stir until evenly coated.
Transfer cereal to a gallon, resealable plastic bag. Toss in 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Shake, shake, shake... and done!
It's not the prettiest dessert out there, but it's really, really good. I promise.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!