Thursday, April 21, 2011

Double Chocolate Crackle Cookies



Mmm... chocolate. One picture hardly seemed like enough.

These cookies are popular around Christmas, but I see no reason not to enjoy them year-round. The recipe calls for Dutch-process cocoa powder, but I used natural (Hersey's to be exact) and had no problem. These cookies have a dense texture and taste to them that reminds me of a devil's food doughnut. They'll definitely help fix any chocolate cravings you might be having!

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CRACKLE COOKIES
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 c. white chocolate chips
  • 1 c. powdered sugar
1. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Using an electric mixer, mix in melted butter and eggs. Don't be alarmed if your batter seems stiff and crumbly, that's the nature of these cookies. Turn off the mixer when it appears all the ingredients are well mixed.

2. If your batter is still crumbly at this point, use your hands to bring into a ball. Kneed the white chocolate chips into the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.*

3. Roll dough into small balls. Coat the balls with powdered sugar. Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool fully before eating. Makes about 24 cookies.

*Just a side note: The purpose of chilling the dough is to prepare if for being rolled into balls. In general, a cold batter with make a better sphere. However, since this dough is fairly stiff on its own, you're probably ok to skip refrigeration if you have a cold kitchen, or are just in a real hurry. I refrigerate, but I'm a sucker for following the rules.

Source: Food Network Magazine, December 2010, vol 3, no 10.

2 comments:

  1. Nice!! Your lemon chicken was a big hit at my house. I made it for my husband and then again for my mom and sister. I'll be making these today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these look so good. And I just happen to have the same cocoa powder in my spice cabinet...how convenient!

    Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!