Monday, May 16, 2011

Bread Machine Baguettes


Whenever we have guests for dinner, I like to make a homemade bread to go along with the meal. People really seem to appreciate the specialness of it, and it's not too much of a chore on my end, because I have a bread machine. I seriously love my bread machine. I hug it a little each night before bed.

The first time I made this recipe, I bit into a piece to taste test it and practically bounced up and down with joy, because it tasted exactly like a baguette from a bakery. I'm still a bit green to this cooking and baking thing. I get a kick when I can make things at home that taste as good, if not better, than what I've been buying from professional bakers.

BREAD MACHINE BAGUETTES
  • 1 c water, at room temperature
  • 2 3/4 c bread flour
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tbsp water

1. Add first five ingredients to your bread machine, using the order recommended by your machine's manufacturer. In most machines, that means you'll add the liquids first, then the dry ingredients, and finish with the yeast. I always like to sprinkle the bread flour evenly over the water, creating a floating barrier so that the other dry ingredients don't slip into the liquid. I also like to dig a little well in my dry ingredients to hold the yeast.

2. Run your machines Dough/Manual cycle.

3. Grease a large mixing bowl with a small amount of vegetable oil. When your machine has completed it's Dough/Manual cycle, remove dough ball with floured hands and place in mixing bowl. Turn dough over so that both sides get greased. Cover bowl and allow to rise someplace warm for about 30 minutes.

4. Punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 16 x 12 inch rectangle (this does not need to be exact). Cut rectangle in half to make two 8 x 12 rectangles. Roll up the 12 inch side of each rectangle to create your baguette shape. Pinch the seam closed and taper the ends.

5. Place your shaped loaves on a greased cookie sheet. With a paring knife, make diagonal cuts on the top of the loaves, one every 3 inches or so. Cover baguettes and allow to rise someplace warm for about 30 minutes, or until doubled.

6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, beat together egg yolk and tablespoon water. Brush egg mixture over baguettes. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a rack at least 12 hours, or overnight. Baguettes are ready when they've developed a nice, hard crust.

Source: Betty Crocker Best Bread Machine Cookbook 

18 comments:

  1. mmmm baguettes! I found out that Country Crock makes honey butter. Fresh bread + honey butter? Oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. Do you ever serve it warm from the oven? My family prefers bread steaming from the oven, but I wonder if it detracts from it to not wait for it to develop the proper crust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check your dough ball while the machine is running. This way you can adjust the moisture of the dough. If it's humid out, (Like Summer in Iowa, it's 90% days) you need to add more flour,1/4c at a time. If it's dry out, you need to add more water but just a 1T at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe. I love my bread machine too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What bread machine do you recommend? I would love to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! I can't wait to make this! (I too love my bread machine, it's always working on something LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A way to make your crust that hard French crust is to place some water in a pan on a shelf under the shelf with the bread. That way it takes less waiting! And if I had a bread machine I'd be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. .. sounds yum!! .. probably eat the whole thing straight from the oven..!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's the difference between bread machine flour and all-purpose? I enjoy my machine, but don't use it often enough to buy bread machine flour. I have recipes using all-purpose; maybe I'll see where they differ, try to figure it out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great! I think I might try this on the weekend! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love my westbend bread machines and yes I have and use more than one. I make 2 loaves of bread per week for sandwiches. For family pizza and movie night, I use both of my machines to make the dough for 2 extra large pizzas.

    Like you I make a well for the yeast but I use the botton of my dry measuring cup.
    I use filtered water from my fridge. So I micrwave it for 30 seconds on high before adding to the bread pan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, so many wonderful comments! I'm glad people have enjoyed reading about this recipe! Lots of great tips, too. I'm always eager to learn more about cooking, and appreciate the information.

    To address some of the feedback:

    I use a Sunbeam bread maker, which can be found for under 50 bucks. I'll actually make a post about my favorite tools later on.

    I live in a humid subtropical climate, but have never needed to add extra flour into my bread machine. That could very well be a combo of luck and air conditioning. I really appreciate this information from Annalee Gilbert.

    I'll have to try that technique with the water for developing a quicker crust. Thank you, anonymous!

    Bread flour contains a wheat blend that's higher in protein than all-purpose flour. But all-purpose is still considered an acceptable flour for breads.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have made this bread three times now and it it AMAZING, but I think it requires much more time in the oven. Here's what I do:

    Make dough and bake normally BEFORE dinner (even a day before is fine) Then, when ready to eat it, bake in the oven at the same degree (375) for 6-12 minutes, depending on how dark you like it. I usually poke it every once in awhile, and once the crust cracks with a good jab, it's nice and crispy and done.

    It is also worthwhile to note that you should check the BOTTOM of the bread when you're baking it. The top, because of the egg yolk, will brown much faster and the bread will look nice and baked but will be very soft and the crust will not be crunchy like a true baguette.

    Thanks so much for this! I love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your insight for your fantastic posting. I’m glad I have taken the time to see this. Bread Maker Cyber Monday Deals

    ReplyDelete
  16. I the water with pineapple juice and after brushing i sprinkle it with garlic salt and parmesan can. it comes out delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replace the water with pineapple juice and after brushing i sprinkle it with garlic salt and parmesan cheese. it comes out delicious.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!