Thursday, May 19, 2011

Parmesan Italian Dressing


A couple of weeks ago, I shared my excitement about the lettuce starting to grow in my container garden. Yesterday, I was able to harvest my first salad. Aren't those greens beautiful?

Of course, a special salad deserves a special dressing. My Parmesan Italian Dressing is inspired by the delicious salad dressing my mother in law served over Easter. She bought hers at Wegmans. Since I very sadly don't live anywhere near a Wegmans, I decided to try to replicate it at home. What I came up with is not an exact copy, but it's a very tasty dressing in it's own right, and I like it at least as much as the original, if not more. The red wine vinegar in this recipe gives the dressing a nice tang, while the Parmesan adds a bit of richness.

PARMESAN ITALIAN DRESSING
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 2/3 c canola oil
  • 1/4 c white vinegar
  • 1 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 2 tbsp grated Parmesan

1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Whisk in the canola oil. Add vinegars in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly while doing so. Whisk in water and then the Parmesan. Pour dressing into an air-tight container. Refrigerate 24 hours before serving to allow flavors to meld together.

Source: Cats and Casseroles original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!