Saturday, June 18, 2011

Raspberry Oatmeal Squares


Growing up in suburban Philadelphia in the late 80s, it seemed like I ate the exact same cake at every celebration. White cake, white crisco-based frosting, raspberry filling. I ate it at baptisms, I ate it at first communions, I ate it at quinceaneras. So it's no wonder, when planning the dessert menu for my brother's graduation, I decided I had to make something with raspberry filling. It wouldn't be a real celebration otherwise.

I had a particular recipe in mind, but it turned out to have errors, leaving me with a mess the day before the party. I had to scramble to find a new recipe that would work with the ingredients I already had. Luckily, I came across this one for Raspberry Oatmeal Squares. These squares are simple to prepare and are very tasty.

RASPBERRY OATMEAL SQUARES
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with parchment paper or foil. Lightly spray the inside of parchment paper or foil with cooking spray.

3. In medium mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender. Continue blending until butter has been well incorporated into the dry ingredients. Take 2 cups of this mixture and press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread raspberry jam on top, leaving 1/4 inch uncovered around the edges. Sprinkle remaining oatmeal mixture on top of jam and press lightly.

4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool in pan. Cut into squares and serve.

Source: Allrecipes

3 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy and the best part is I don't think it will be hard for me to veganize it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, yes, it would be very easy to make vegan. Just substitute any fat that remains solid at room temperature for the butter. You could try crisco, or butter flavored crisco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this for dessert last night. So tasty! I did a post about it on my blog: http://daydreaminginturquoise.blogspot.com/. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!