Thursday, July 14, 2011

New York Crumb Cake


I grew up eating a cake similar to this one. We called it coffee cake, but the creators of this recipe have decreed that term verboten, so crumb cake it is. The beauty of this cake is the layer of delicious brown sugar crumbs on top, mercifully almost as thick as the cake itself. There's no better way to begin the morning.


NEW YORK CRUMB CAKE

1 c. dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour

2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/4 c. sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Note: the first set of ingredients is for the crumb topping and the second is for the cake base

1. Preheat the oven for 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 glass baking pan.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Pour in the melted butter and stir until combined. Fold in flour until incorporated. Set bowl aside.

3. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

4. Using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter. Gradually add in sugar, beating well. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add sour cream and then vanilla, mixing until just combined. Incorporate dry ingredients into batter in three batches, mixing between each addition. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.

5. Crumble brown sugar mixture over the batter, trying to get an even top layer.

6. Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes. Allow to cool overnight.

Source: Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented

24 comments:

  1. That looks soooo good and I haven't had any lunch except a banana. Do you think anyone would notice if I licked my monitor here at work?

    I bet it would be tasty with almond extract as well although that may be considered sacrilege.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love the sound of this. I bet it would taste delicious warm too!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at "brown sugar crumbs"! This cake looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so yummy! Did the recipe writers say why the term coffee cake is verboten?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got me when the crumb portion was higher than the cake! That's real NY Crumb! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and I am a new follower! Come by and visit!
    dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks soooo good! The crumb topping is always my favorite part of a coffee cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I please have some?
    I ammaking it, that's it making it very soon...tomorrow :)
    Following you because this is a very nice Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy, I will bookmark this!

    P.S. I am having a giveaway on my blog, I hope you will check it out and enter to win!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this deliious and moist treat! I grew up on it too :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  11. This New York Crumb Cake sounds amazing! Must try :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to try this recipe with a cup - or two of my morning coffee. :)

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing this on Sweet Tooth Friday. I just wanted to let you know that I've stumbled your recipe and you will be featured on this week's Sweet Tooth Favorites. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks fantastic and your pictures are awesome! Love it! Already pinned it so I can try it soon! I saw you live outside of Philly we're not too terribly far apart... I'm more in the Harrisburg/Lancaster area!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found you over at Sweet Tooth Friday. Can't wait to try this recipe. Going to make it to welcome my son and daughter home from camp. Glad to have met you and your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks amazing! I am thinking this would freeze well, if it made it to the freezer...yum! Sweets are my weakness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I grew up calling it coffee cake too, and I'm from NY!! I tried a Cook's Illustrated version of the recipe, but was not impressed. This one looks very good - thanks for sharing it.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks incredible! Last year my husband was in Hoboken on business and he brought home crumb cake from Carlos Bakery and this looks just like it! I'm going to pin this so I can make it later.
    BTW, thanks for stopping by Lisa's Dinnertime Dish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this for brunch this weekend and it was a hit! Tasted soo good! The recipe was pretty easy too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wondering if you have tried freezing this? I want to make it to take on vacation but not have to "make" it while I'm there. Next question....Do I just make it then freeze it or prep it then freeze it and when I'm ready to make it, thaw it and stick it in the oven? HELP!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Made it and was disappointed. Although it was bad, I found it rather bland and tasted nothing like I used to eat. But maybe it's just me because my family enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry typo : it wasn't bad tasting at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!