Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stovetop Mac & Cheese


Macaroni and cheese made in just minutes on the stovetop. No blue box required.

I have always loved macaroni and cheese. It's one of the very first dishes I learned to cook. For the longest time, I thought homemade mac and cheese by definition included a roux and was baked in an oven. And that's how I did it for years. Truth be told, though, I missed the blue box stovetop style I grew up eating. While there's nothing wrong with baked mac and cheese, it never felt right, either.

When I found this recipe, I was a bit skeptical. Evaporated milk? Only minutes to make? How would it taste? Would it be cheesy enough? Goodness knows I've tried an astounding number of mac and cheese recipes that seemingly have no cheese taste. I don't know how that can be, but it appears to be an epidemic. Well, I'm happy to report that this recipe is definitely cheesy enough. Cheesy and creamy. I don't think I'll ever go back to baked. Not that my husband would let me; he fell in love with this recipe at first bite.


STOVETOP MAC & CHEESE

2 c dried elbow macaroni pasta
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
5oz can evaporated milk
8oz block cheddar

1. In a stockpot, bring some salted water to a roiling boil. Add in pasta. Cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta and return to pot.

2. Add butter to pasta and stir until butter has melted. Add in evaporated milk, spices, and egg and stir to coat pasta. Heat over medium-low until evaporated milk has appeared to thicken, about 3 minutes. Add in cheese and stir until cheese has fully melted.

Source: Evil Shenanigans

This recipe is shared with Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Craft-O-Maniac, On the Menu Monday, Recipe Sharing Monday, Made by You Monday, Tuesday Talent Show, This Chick Cooks, Full Plate Thursday, It's a Keeper Thursday, Foodie Friday

16 comments:

  1. It has been ages since I have eaten this, so your post is a delicious reminder. Cheezy and creamy-that about says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the blue box stuff, probably mostly for the nostalgia. The blue plate you used to serve the mac and cheese is pretty close to the box's color :)

    Any particular cheddar brand/type I should look out for in particular, such as extra-sharp?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a young man who will be so happy for his mom to get this recipe. He so much prefers the boxed stuff to the mac and cheese that I normally make. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's amazing. I've been looking for a yummy new pasta recipe. I might make that for the church picnic this Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been searching for the perfect stovetop recipe for awhile, this one looks amazing! I will definitely be trying it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family LOVES mac and cheese, even the blue box kind (ugh!). But my version takes a long time. I'm trying this when we all get together in a couple of weeks!
    Thanks for bringing this easy scrumptious favorite to ON THE MENU MONDAY! I wonder how many homes will eat this for dinner this week?
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds so easy & comforting! I'm giving this a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning,
    This is a great Mac N Cheese, it will be a great side dish or a whole meal with a nice salad. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soo Yummy...have to try this..:)) Found ya on hop and officially following ya with smiles..I'm Marilyn from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/ and will love for you to stop in sometime...Loving your blog and off to read more :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. @m.d. kitchen-- I used generic, store brand cheddar for this recipe. I think a medium or sharp cheese would be best. I wouldn't recommend an extra sharp, because you can definitely taste the bite with just a sharp cheddar in this recipe. I also wouldn't go for mild, because I don't think the taste would come through enough.

    Hope this helped!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like the perfect mac'n'cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does it taste a little like the blue box? I only ask because my kids hate my regular baked mac and cheese, but love the blue box. But I hate for them to eat all that processed stuff. This sounds so much closer to something nice and whole!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband much prefers the blue box to my own mac and cheese (which is fine, cuz I can eat the whole dish myself)but I'm going to have to try and make this for him and see what he says.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found you via Pinterest and am DYING to try this recipe. We've moved away from pretty much all processed/boxed foods EXCEPT blue box mac and cheese. Kiddo & I really don't care for the homemade kind, but my three year old can put away a whole box in a sitting if I let her (obviously I don't). This is going on the "To Make ASAP list." Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found you via Pinterest and am DYING to try this recipe. We've moved away from pretty much all processed/boxed foods EXCEPT blue box mac and cheese. Kiddo & I really don't care for the homemade kind, but my three year old can put away a whole box in a sitting if I let her (obviously I don't). This is going on the "To Make ASAP list." Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!