Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have been baking chocolate chip cookies since forever. My brother and I used to be in charge of making the annual toll house Christmas cookies. We'd make huge double batches, although almost as much cookie dough would wind up inside our mouths as on the baking trays. Not that I eat the dough anymore. Well, maybe a pinch here and there. But I'm mostly reformed, and isn't that what counts?

When I saw these cookies on the Pioneer Woman's new cooking show, I knew I had to try them. I love everything malt. As it turns out, these cookies don't have an overwhelming malty taste. You do get a hint of it, but I doubt you'd notice it without being told it's in there. Or maybe my palette is just not refined enough. In any case, these cookies are still worth making. I love how thin and chewy they are. The only change I made to the original recipe was to use semi-sweet chips instead of milk chocolate chips. To me, a chocolate chip cookie needs a semi-sweet morsel to be complete.


MALTED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c light brown sugar
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c, rounded, malted milk powder
1 12oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

2. Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

3. Cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla and malted milk powder. Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

4. Spoon cookie dough onto prepared sheets, leaving plenty of room between each dough ball. These cookies spread quite a bit. Bake for about 10 minutes. Allow cookies to rest on sheet for a minute or two before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Source: Pioneer Woman

This recipe is shared with Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Craft-O-Maniac, On the Menu Monday, Recipe Sharing Monday, Made by You Monday, Tuesday Talent Show, This Chick Cooks, Full Plate Thursday, Foodie Friday, Sweets for a Saturday

11 comments:

  1. I like the idea of adding malt to a cookie, I am sure it gives it more depth of flavor. For some reason I have too much malt here, so this recipe is perfect. Saved it-your cookies look tasty-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good. Now I'll have to go out and find some malt because I don't have any at all...in fact, I've never made anything from/with it ever! I do like malted milk balls, the kind that only seem to show up in Halloween candy bags, so these look like a must-make. Maybe I'll even crush some of those candies into the batter, could be kinda fun!

    What do you think of The Pioneer Woman's cooking show? Are the recipes new or from her blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree about the semi-sweet chips, I won't bake chocolate chip cookies with anything else! I'm really excited to try this recipe, I've never baked with malted milk powder before. It sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the taste of malt. And in a cookie??? I'm so in! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing - love that you used malt powder - delicious
    mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cookies look and sound really yummy! I love that chocolate malt flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh geez, these look amazing!! I still do eat the dough...you must have lots of will power!!
    I love your blog, so many yummy thing! New follower :D

    Kara :)

    http://lovehomebird.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cookies look awesome, yum! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw your cookies in sweets for a saturday...they look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful recipe. Chocolate chips are my very favorite! I have watched a couple of the Pioneer Woman's shows. She makes hearty easy meals! These cookies sound so delicious. Thanks for sharing them ON THE MENU MONDAY!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!