Saturday, November 5, 2011

Cranberry Clafoutis


Up to this point, my relationship with cranberries has been limited to the jellied kind in the can. This dessert has changed that for me. This recipe is a great way to serve up the traditional Thanksgiving berry in a new and tasty way. My family has already requested I bring this to our holiday celebration.

A clafoutis is a French dessert that is traditionally made with cherries. The cherries are topped with a flan-like batter and then baked. This version uses cranberries instead. And let me assure you, it is delicious. Normally, I find cranberries too tart. However, suspended in the sweet batter, they provide the perfect compliment. Of course, a little powdered sugar and a dab of whipped cream never hurts, either!


CRANBERRY CLAFOUTIS

1 c cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 c plus 2 tbsp sugar
1/4 c plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 eggs
3/4 c heavy cream
3/4 c whole milk
2 tsp orange zest

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter the sides and bottom of a 8 inch square glass baking dish. Sprinkle 2 tbsp sugar over the bottom of the dish.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the 1/2 c sugar, flour, salt, eggs, heavy cream, whole milk and orange zest. Make sure to smooth out any lumps.

3. Spread the chopped cranberries over the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the batter on top of the cranberries. Bake in oven for 32 to 34 minutes, or until edges brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack or trivet for about 15 minutes before serving. Serve with powdered sugar and whipped cream, if desired.

Source: Martha Stewart Living Magazine, November 2011

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! That would be welcome at any Turkey Day table-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, this looks so good. You have some delicious looking recipes, Abby. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore cranberries and I love clafoutises (maybe it's clafoutis? this is embarrassing, I majored in French), so this is a must-make, perhaps even for Thanksgiving for me too! Although the chocolate peppermint icebox cake on your sidebar is tempting too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love clafoutis...I actually make one at least once a week. It's great for an elegant dessert and I even eat if for breakfast, often! I haven't ever thought of using cranberries but this is the perfect time of year to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made this twice now and it is so delicious. Thank you for sharing! I just had to pass it on to my readers as well: http://daydreaminginturquoise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be delicious year round, BUT cranberries are only available near Thanksgiving and Christmas. Might wanna get some cranberries now and keep them in the freezer for later.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!