Saturday, December 10, 2011

Potato Chip Dip


Whenever there's a holiday get-together, I usually find myself on appetizer duty, and I've had a lot of dip recipes on the brain as of late. Most of the dips I make are meant to be eaten with that master of multi-tasking, the tortilla chip. However, I got a request for a dip to accompany potato chips, which led me to this recipe. Potato chip dip recipes are surprisingly hard to find, and most involve some kind of soup packet. This recipe is similar to the familiar, pre-packaged french onion chip dip but with a fresher, nicer taste. Goat cheese is not usually my thing, but its tang is much appreciated in this dip. It's on the expensive side for an ingredient (I am no foodie), but if there were ever a time to splurge on dip-making materials, the holidays would be it.


CHIP DIP

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 garlic clove
1 c sour cream
4 oz goat cheese
1/4 c chopped chives

1. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the onion and season with some kosher salt. Cook the onion until it caramelizes and becomes soupy. This should take about 20 minutes.

2. Combine the caramelized onion, garlic clove, sour cream, goat cheese and chives in a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Refrigerate dip for at least an hour before serving.

Source: Chow

This recipe is shared with Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Craft-O-Maniac, Made by You Monday, Tuesday Talent Show, This Chick Cooks, Full Plate Thursday, It's a Keeper, Foodie Friday, Sweet Tooth Friday, Sweets for a Saturday

4 comments:

  1. I love new dip recipes... this one sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a weakness for those soup-mix based chip dips. I think this will be much healthier (well, relatively...) option. Plus, the combination of fresh chives and caramelized onions sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be good on a baked potato too! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yum!!! please come and share this here http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/12/project-party-weekend-come-link-up-your.html

    hope to see you there!!!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!