Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Orange Scones


When I came across this recipe, I was a tad skeptical. Make that more like very skeptical. A scone recipe without heavy cream and eggs? What's up with that? Sure, there's both an egg and heavy cream in the ingredients, but that's for brushing the tops. There's no cream inside the scone itself. Granted, my knowledge of scones is a bit limited, seeing as I've only been making them for a couple of months, but what I do know tells me that a scone recipe without cream is wrong. Very, very wrong.

Except when it's right. And this recipe is very, very right.

I was worried these scones would be dry. After all, it must be the cream keeping scones moist, right? Well, these are not dry. In fact, these scones have the lightest, fluffiest texture I've ever experienced in a scone. The orange flavor in these is just spectacular. It's citrusy and bright without overwhelming the delicacy of the scone. These would be excellent to serve for a brunch or tea.

So has making these scones ruined me forever to the more traditional version? I wouldn't say that. I definitely think there's room at the breakfast table for both. I'm so glad I gave these a chance, though. And I will mention these were eaten in record time. It's probably a good thing my resolution this year was to branch out into trying more creative recipes instead of trying to lose ten pounds by next week, huh?


ORANGE SCONES
from The Pastry Affair

for the scones:
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 c sugar
zest of 1 large orange
pinch of salt
5 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 c freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 c sour cream
1 egg
1 tbsp heavy cream or whole milk

for the glaze:
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, orange zest, and salt. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter, until the flour mixture looks crumbly with pea-sized chunks scattered throughout.

3. Stir in the orange juice and sour cream. Mix with a spatula until dough comes together. Knead it a few turns on a lightly floured surface. The dough might be sticky, but add as little flour as manageable to your board. Shape dough into 12 small rounds, each about 2 inches in diameter. Place rounds on the baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and heavy cream. Brush tops of scones with this mixture.

4. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the tops just start to brown. Allow to cool before drizzling with icing.

This recipe is shared with Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Craft-O-Maniac, Made by You Monday, Tuesday Talent Show, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, This Chick Cooks, Full Plate Thursday, It's a Keeper, Foodie Friday, Cast Party Wednesday, Foodie Friday

9 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! I love anything with orange flavor:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait to try these. It's funny that I came upon your recipe as we have a friend of ours (a priest from my daughter's college, 80 yrs) who is coming over for scone lessons. Now that I see yours, I think that's what we will make! Thank you!!!!!

    I'm your latest follower.Come visit

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I bet they smell so good when baking too.

    I have so many clementines around maybe I should make these scones, but with clementine zest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good! I love scones and I love the bright sunny flavors of citrus... especially at this time of year. Brrr! These are definitely a keeper!

    Newly following from Foodie Friday. Thanks so much for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! You are one of the Featured Recipes on Foodie Friday today! Come on over, grab an I was Featured Button and have a great weekend!
    ~Tonya from 4 little Fergusons

    http://4littlefergusons.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/flashback-foodie-friday/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!